Despite how dangerous multisystem inflammatory syndrome is, the public does not know much about its symptoms. One thing that makes it difficult to recognize is how common its symptoms are. It may seem at first that your kid is suffering from a normal cold, flu, or stomach virus/food poisoning.
Here’s a list of symptoms of MIS-C from the CDC:
- A fever AND any of the following signs and symptoms:
- gut pain
- Is your child complaining of stomach pain and does not want to eat?
- bloodshot eyes
- for my brother this looked similar to pink eye
- chest tightness/pain
- feeling of a band tightening around your chest or of something heavy sitting on your chest.
- feeling extra tired
- low blood pressure
- neck pain
- red spots, blotches, bumps
- Contact a doctor and seek emergency medical care if:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion
- Inability to wake or stay awake
- Pale, gray, or blue-colored skin, lips, or nail beds
Due to the connection between MIS-C and COVID-19, if your child had COVID-19 previously and is experiencing these symptoms, this may be another sign that they have MIS-C. Even if you are unsure, trust your gut! If you think something is wrong, do not hesitate to contact your doctor!